- Category: Public Safety Alerts
- Published on Saturday, 03 September 2011 12:12
- Written by Administrator
- Hits: 2729
**Public Safety Alert**
The Police Department has noticed a significant increase over the past three weeks in the number of vehicles being broken into, usually in the late evening and early morning hours.
The thefts are as simple as thieves opening unlocked car doors to defeating complicated mechanical and electronic locking mechanisms.
Please be aware of the following things when you leave your vehicle outside overnight.
- You should always lock your vehicle doors at all times.
- Hide all personal belongings. Lock them in the console or glove box.
- If you use a windshield-mounted GPS device, do not leave the mounting hardware attached to the windshield, as this is usually an identifier that you may have valuables in your vehicle.
- Do not ever leave large sums of money, jewelry or expensive electronics in your vehicle.
- Record Serial Numbers for your valuable items so that Police can more quickly identify and recover property that may be stolen.
Most importantly, if you see something that seems out of place, call the Police Department. The most effective way to catch the person(s) responsible for these thefts is for an observant neighbor or passerby to report suspicious activity.
Our Officers and Investigators will continue to actively pursue these incidents until the perpetrator(s) are caught.